07 July 2009

Flash Photography – Part I

Watched a video on http://www.youtube.com about a guy taking picture of a car using 1 flash with soft box and long shutter in the dark.  It reminded of Lucifer telling me that he did it be last time.  Hence, had this idea of using the same method but on Product shoot.  Shall document this in detail in case I forget what I did.

 

My set up is simple.  Items used are as follows:

  1. 1 x White cloth as base and background.
  2. 1 x hard cover or thick book
  3. 1 x Tripod
  4. 1 x A4 size paper
  5. 1 x flash
  6. 1 x DSLR

Preparation:

As I am shooting on my bed, I need the book as the base so that the lens do not sink into the bed creating shadow at the front bottom of the lens facing the camera.

I place the white cloth over the book and position my lens.  I then compose the picture with my camera on tripod.

I did not set up DSLR to fire my flash remotely.   Set the camera to a very long shutter speed and aperture to any value required.  In fact, I do not want much ambient light to be captured. 

I set the flash in manual mode and to an appropriate power to allow firing on the A4 paper which will act as a reflector.

Time to shoot:

After switching of my lights, I press the shutter release. 

Fire the flash at the A4 paper at the pre-determined distance at right 45 degrees to the lens.

I then reduce the flash by 1 stop and fire it again at the 45 degrees left to the lens.

Wait for the shutter to close and it’s done.

Did some burning and dodging to achieve the picture below.

Result:

_LYL2391 _LYL2392 copy

The second picture is done by the method stated above.  The 1st picture  used another firing sequence and setting of the flash.  But the idea is the same.

This may not be a fantastic picture.  However, it give me some feel on using multiple lighting.  It should be giving a similar result as someone shooting with 2 remotely control flash with short shutter speed.

I have tried shooting with black cloth and the result is not as good.  I think I will need separation lighting.  It’s late now.  Will try again next time.  Enjoy the Video I watched earlier below.

No comments:

Post a Comment