17 January 2009

Stupid sms from HSBC

I received an sms from HSBC with the following information.

 

<ADV> Get a SURE-WIN instant prize when u charge a min of S$88 on you HSBC credit card! Simply SMS to 91842000: HSBC <space> 16-digit credit card number <space> Amount spent at F&B outlet or Caltex station.  Valid til 9 Feb 2009.  Details on hsbc.com.sg T&Cs apply.  To unsub, SMS <N> to 74722.

Who in the world will feel safe to sms their 16 credit card number to a mobile number they do not recognize?  I was thinking that this is a phishing SMS and called HSBC to report this to them.  To my surprise, it is a genuine sms from HSBC.  The person on the line even tell me that there is only 1 number we can sms to HSBC, which is 91842000.  I reply to her that who will know that the number is really belonging to HSBC???  I wonder if HSBC actually think of security when they launch such promotions.  This is crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment